Friday, November 15, 2013

Life as Art - The Trip to Lambeau

Hi All,

I hope your week was great.  Mine flew by (like all weeks seem to).  Recently I had the opportunity to do something very special.  I took a trip to Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wisconsin to see a Packers home game.  I've been a fan of the Green Bay Packers my whole life and had always wanted to take in a game, but just never gotten to it.

I'm originally from Wisconsin, but my because my family moved across country when I was 13, I never had been to a Packers game as a kid.  Another special aspect to this trip was getting together with my brother Dave, and cousins (Kurt and Kyle).  We all were kind of close growing up, so this was a special trip, to a special place...a pilgrimage of sorts.  So I thought I'd share some pictures of the sights I'd seen on this trip.

My really bad map (that I sketched out), showing the trip.

My brother Dave and I flew in to Minneapolis and met up with Kurt on Friday.  We enjoyed some hospitality from Kurt, Karen and family Friday night.  Saturday morning, we set out on the 350 mile trek to Wabeno, WI.  Wabeno is where my Dad grew up on my Grandparent's farm, and Kyle now lives in the old farmhouse.

We saw lots of farms along the way.  You can still see many small family farms, but its
become a big business in Wisc., like so many other places as well.

It was a fun drive, with some nice fall colors on the trees, lots of farms, and more and more as we got to the north woods of NE Wisconsin, we found more and more of the trees had lost their leaves by then.

Fall colors in western Wisconsin.  The colors were actually a little better
than this photo represents.
It was a sentimental trip for sure.  Spending time with these guys, and in Wabeno (which was like another home where I spent a lot of time over the years).  Unfortunately my other brother couldn't make it on this trip.

The Kreienbrink Farm house.

The Kreienbrink Farm circa late 1950s.  The farm was a little less than
170 acres.  A beautiful place.
We made it up to the farm and found Kyle getting ready for work.  We spent the afternoon driving around seeing some sights around the town - places we'd spent so much time at and have so many memories around.  We had a great time that evening, did some partying downtown.  We ran into some old friends and made some new ones.  We reminisced with some folks who knew our Dads and Grandparents.

Tom and Dave
Luckily on Sunday the game started late in the afternoon.  This gave us time to have breakfast in town at the only restaurant, and make the 100mile drive to Green Bay.

Tom, Kurt, Dave, and Kyle Kreienbrink.  Look at the guy photobombing
between Kurt and Dave...I don't know who he was, just another Packers fan.

A packed stadium

The game.

The game was excellent.  We did a little tailgating, had a few beers, and then headed into the stadium.  The energy in the stadium was incredible.  It really was a fun and tremendous experience - 35 degrees at game time, drizzling rain, watching the game with 70,000 fans packed into Lambeau with me.  By the end of the game, our Packers had won, and our throats were hoarse from yelling.  Time to drive back to the farm.

Holstein Dairy Cows - in America's Dairyland
Monday morning brought a long drive back to Minneapolis in a car not made to seat three big guys - Ha, we laughed about that, but we survived the trip and had fun anyhow.  After a nice dinner with Kurt and family we went had to fly out, back to our lives.  What a trip.

Is this blog post related to my art or holistic business?  Perhaps not directly.  But when it comes to our health, it does help to take time out, have some fun, see some family or friends and cut loose a little.  I thank you for letting me indulge in sharing some photos and stories of my trip.

I hope you all have a great weekend.  Perhaps this weekend you can take a little time to relax and enjoy yourself a little.  Take care and be good to each other.

Peace,

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment