Friday, July 24, 2015

Holistic Nutrition - Garbanzo Beans

Hi All,

The other night my wife Sue and I were talking and Chick Peas or Garbanzo Beans came up in the discussion (how does that happen - Ha!).  Next thing, we're having a conversation about these little golden nuggets that adorn salad bars throughout America and that we eat occasionally when we enjoy Hummus.

I told her about my client who grew up in Syria.  She still prepares a lot of the traditional foods she was raised with and she was telling me how Chick Peas are a staple in every day diets across the middle east and a lot of Asia.  Of course its used in Hummus, but also used in a lot of other dishes and salads.

Can of Organic Garbanzo Beans

So I picked up a can of Garbanzo beans at the store recently.  Of course, it's always good to eat organic when possible.  I do when I can.  The nutritional content is good.  In a half of cup of beans there's 120 calories, 2 grams fat, 130mg sodium (probably more than you want, but it's out of a can), and 6grams of protein (not bad).

I checked in my favorite nutrition book, The World's Healthiest Foods, by George Mateljan.  It's a great reference.  The book says that garbanzo beans are a great source of dietary fiber and excellent for heart and digestive health.  They're also excellent to help maintain healthy blood sugar levels. 

Nutritionally, they are high in Fiber, Protein, Copper, Tryptophan, and Iron, among other vitamins, minerals and nutrients.  The best way to make them is to buy them dry, soak them for 8 hours, drain, rinse and cook.  Of course, you'll use them then in whatever dish you like.

recipe for a quick and easy garbanzo bean salad.
So this afternoon, I'm going to get a good hummus recipe off the internet and make some with the can of chick peas that I purchased.  I believe it's made with the beans, olive oil and some spices....just whip it up. 

Hopefully the hummus turns out good. 

Have a great weekend everyone...stay healthy.

Peace,

Tom

www.HolisticTherapySolutions.weebly.com


No comments:

Post a Comment