Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Air Force Artwork

Hi All,

Good afternoon everyone.  I hope you're all doing well.  It's a nice day here in Phoenix, Arizona...getting warmer as we're on the road toward Summer.

Recently I've had a few reminders of the career I had in the Air Force.  Some of the recent reminders - Getting my GI Bill going for school in the Fall, nice people thanking me for my service (when they catch a glimpse of my Mil ID), and I found out one of my former troops had to be airlifted out of a deployment and have surgery (don't know the details, but glad he's doing well).  So I thought I'd share a little of my career and artwork from my Air Force days.

After attending graphic design school here in Phoenix, I enlisted in the Air Force about a year later.  I was very fortunate that with my training and experience, I was able to get into the Visual Information (graphic arts), career field.  And...I landed a choice assignment to Altus AFB, OK (LOL).  It was fun and a little bit of a culture shock - being in the Air Force and small town Oklahoma...but we had some good times out there.  I also got a lot of great experience and learned a lot from some great people.
Pen and Ink illustration.  A C-5 aircraft from Altus AFB, OK.  I drew this for practice and to be used on local products.

Along the way my family and I spent time stationed in Fort Worth, Texas; Omaha, Nebraska; Honolulu, Hawaii; and Washington, DC (and I spent a little time in some other places here and there).
T-Shirt design for the Offutt Runway Run. 
It was a good career and I was happy and honored to serve, and I thank my fellow American citizens for the opportunity.  One of the highlights of my career was my last assignment.  I spent the last 3 years as First Sergeant for the 11th Civil Engineer Squadron, Bolling AFB in Washington, DC.  It was one of the most challenging and also rewarding positions I've had the pleasure to serve in.

Pen and ink artwork for 11th CES going away artwork.  A print could have a farewell message in the center and be framed as a nice farewell.  Even though I wasn't in multimedia, I still liked to do a little artwork when I had time.

T-Shirt artwork for 11th CES.  Proud to be an honorary Prime Beef troop.  They're a good bunch - hard working folks ready to do whatever is needed.
It's been 9 years now since I've retired from the Air Force and I spent some time with FEMA in DC, and now have a second career as massage and holistic therapist here in Phoenix.  Every now and then it's nice to remember the old days.  I really enjoyed being an Airman in the US Air Force and am grateful for all of the great folks I've crossed paths with along the way.  
Self Portrait...me, a little younger (little being a relative term, Ha!)
Now I'm on a new path and chapter in my life.  It's a good one too.  It's good to enjoy the journey and enjoy the moment.  I hope you're enjoying the moment as well.  Remember - we make a difference in peoples lives in every day.  Whether we're doing community service work, serving in the military, or just being kind to someone while in line at the store - the ripples go out.  Like I used to tell the troops...Keep doing great things!

Peace and Love,

Tom

Portfolio: www.behance.net/tk-art
HTS Website: www.HolisticTherapySolutions.weebly.com



No comments:

Post a Comment