Friday, March 28, 2014

JD Salinger Photo Art

Hi All,

Happy Friday.  It's been a pretty good week.  I've been busier at my business - Holistic Therapy Solutions, doing some massage and energy work.  And - I've got some artwork projects going as well, which I enjoy.

Recently, I had a little fun with a picture of the great author, JD Salinger.  There is a documentary made about him, not too long ago called, "Salinger."  I watched it a while back, (it was pretty good).  While watching, I took a photograph of a photograph of JD Salinger off of the TV screen.  It's an HD TV and so the picture turned out alright.  I took the photo because I figured I'd do something artistic with the photo.

So I had this photo of Salinger - it was this really good black and white portrait of him.  I guess I was a little inspired by him and of course, I read his most famous work, "A Catcher in the Rye."  So I was inspired to do something with the photo and I set out to have a little fun.


The amazing thing to me, is the quality of camera that the phone has.  I don't have the most high end phone either...but the phone takes a pretty good pic and it has some good photo adjustment tools.  So in the phone, I cropped the picture, and messed with the contrast and adjustment of the image.  Then I applied one of the arty borders to it.

When I got that far, I downloaded the photo on to my computer, where I could start playing with color. I love the old black and white photos with the watercolor touch ups.  My grandfather, Arnold Vahl, was an artist, lithographer, and printer.  He used to do some great coloring of black and white photos with watercolors.  I would have loved to see him work with the digital tools I've got now....I know he would do some amazing work...but I digress.  I added some blue around the border and added some really subtle coloring to him and the background (just like Grandpa might do), being careful not to lose the amazing effect of the black and white photo.

And there you have it, an easy piece of artwork using smart phone and photoshop.  That's it.

I hope you all have a great weekend.  I'm attending a taping class tomorrow.  It's a class to learn how to use Acti-Tape - tape you apply to the body for therapeutic effect - helping to heal injuries.  Should be fun and a nice addition to my body-work practice.

Take care - be good to yourself and those around you.  Little things can help this world become a better place.  It starts with one person - you.  Have a great weekend.

Peace,

Tom

On-line art gallery
www.behance.net/tk-art

FB-Art page
www.facebook.com/pages/Tom-Kreienbrink-Art-and-Design

No comments:

Post a Comment