Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Life as Art...Breaking Bad.

Hi All,

Wow - seems like I've been gone for a while.  I just got back from a road trip to Texas.  My parents live out there and I spent a week visiting and catching up with them.  It was really good to see them.

So on the way back I stopped in to see some old friends in Albuquerque, New Mexico - Jerry and Deb King, and got to see John, their son, as well.  I stayed overnight at their house on the way home to Phoenix.

Jerry and I served together in the Air Force many years ago.  I was a medical illustrator and he was medical photographer at Ehrling Bergquist Hospital at Offutt, Air Force Base, Nebraska.  We had so much fun working together and still enjoy hanging out, when we get together.

One of the fun things we share is a love of the TV show, Breaking Bad.  As we had talked about, the TV show took place and was filmed in and around the Albuquerque area and they'd told me many key landmarks were close by to where they live.

So we had fun discussing it again and Debbie had gone to a "Breaking Bad Sale" at the local thrift store (maybe Goodwill?), and bought a chair and a couple other small items.  So I'd like to share my photos and Breaking Bad tour of my friends neighborhood from last Saturday afternoon.


Walt and Sky's car wash in Breaking Bad.

Above is the carwash that Walter and Skyler bought to launder the illegal drug money that he was making in the TV show.  It's about a mile from my friend's house, and it was funny - other people were pulling up and taking pictures of it too.

Stills of the chair in Breaking Bad and extra Mineral Spirits label.
One of Jesse Pinkman's dining room chairs in Breaking Bad.

Above - Jessie Pinkman's dining room chair.  It's actually a nice old chair.  Deb put a little display together with stills of the chair, from the show.  There's also a "Mineral Spirits." label that they were giving away at the sale.  The labels were used to label chemical barrels in the lab where Walter cooked the blue ice.

The house of Walter and Skyler White - in Albuquerque, NM

Above and below - Walter and Skyler White's house from Breaking Bad.  Just a nice middle class house in a regular neighborhood.  The kind of house that high school science teacher, Walter White and his family would be able to afford.

The White Residence

The house is occupied by the owner, who has people coming by taking photographs every day.  Evidently, the owners are good sports about the whole thing - I guess they'd have to be.  I'm told during the shooting of the show, the owners received $50,000 per year, for the use of the house.  All the outdoor scenes by the pool, were shot on-site in the back yard.  I don't think they shot the indoor scenes in the house - but I'm not sure of that.

Call Saul - Saul Goodman's office...now "The Vault"

"Call Saul" - one of my favorite characters on the show was Saul Goodman, Walter and Jessie's lawyer, played by Bob Odenkirk.  The guy was hilarious and an amazing caricature of the sleazy lawyer with a very low threshold of ethics.  Yet there was something so funny and endearing about Saul.  Above is the strip mall where his office was.

It was fun visiting old friends, seeing some of the Breaking Bad sites, and learning more about the city, Albuquerque, NM.

Have a wonderful day.  Make your life a work of art - you don't have to do incredible things or go on exotic journeys, just be a little bit creative in all you do to Live, Drive and Survive.

Peace,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment