Friday, August 19, 2022

Football Illustrations - a sampling

 Hi All,

Hope things are going well where you are.  Doing a little promotional work on the business today and thought I'd share one of my passions with you....sports.  I'm originally from the Milwaukee, WI area and it really is a great sports area.  One think I've enjoyed is creating artwork that is sports oriented.

DeVondre Campbell - pencil and digital media

Above is a more recent piece featuring DeVondre Campbell of the Packers.  They picked him up to try to beef up their linebacker corps and he delivered an All Pro season.  An amazing player.  Like a lot of my work, it starts with a pencil and paper.  This one I decided to get a really tight rendering and then go in with Procreate on iPad (using the Apple Pencil).  I finished it off with a little work in Photoshop.


Barry Sanders - pencil and Photoshop

The Barry Sanders pic is another one similar to the Campbell art.  Using a solid pencil rendering as a start, then I went into Photoshop and added color, dark darks and highlights, as well as the border.  I've always admired Barry's play and so, I created this piece.

Vince - Pen and Ink

Vince Lombardi pen and ink.  I have done a lot of work over the years with technical pens; heck, pens of all kinds.  This particular illustration was created using technical pens.  I started with a fairly tight pencil rendering and then went in with the Rapidiograph pens and put in the detail and shading.  It's an oldie, but a favorite of mine.


Donald Driver - pen and ink with Photoshop

Ok...I did this one when I was still a medical illustrator for the US Air Force many years ago.  This guy was an all time great guy and a very talented and clutch player.  I loved watching him play football. On this piece, I was trying to get a certain effect of pen/cartoon/gradient color flashes.  I was happy with the finished product.  The one thing that's a little frustrating with computer illustration is consistancy of color.  Different devices interpret colors differently.  Things have gotten a little better over the years, but it's still frustrating once in a while.

Favre - pen and ink with digital color

I'll finish up today with "that Brett Faaaverray Guy." (trying to quote Ben Stiller from There's Something About Mary).  Brett Favre...same generation and technique as the Driver pic.  Another fun one like Driver.  Both of the players were so fun to watch and passionate about the game.  They both gave me years of enjoyment as a Packers fan.

Well...this is a sampling of some of the football illustrations I've created over the years.  I hope you like them. I'll share more another time.  

Whatever you do to live, drive and survive...keep it up and be safe out there.  Also - we are living in interesting times - there's a lot of people hurting out there -- crazy weather, politics, illness, homelessness, and a lot of folks just stressed out by the day to day rat race.  Spread a little love and kindness around.  Keep an eye out for your neighbors.  Be patient with folks who are slow in the store or may not be driving in traffic the way you'd like them to.  Also - take care of yourself too....and...have a great day.

Peace,

Tom

Tom Kreienbrink
Freelance Illustrator and Designer
Portfolio - www.behance.net/tk-art
email: tom.kbrink@gmail.com
  


No comments:

Post a Comment