Tuesday, September 2, 2014

NFL Season is Here - Eddie Lacy Artwork

Hi All,

Are you ready for Football?  I am!  I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers.  They were the local team, when I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin and I still follow them today.  The old loyalties are strong sometimes.  So naturally as an artist I like to occasionally create Packers artwork.  I do it for fun.

Last year the Packers drafted running back Eddie Lacy and he had an amazing rookie year.  It looks like this year may be even better for him.  This made him a natural choice to become piece of artwork that I can share with friends and internet.
reference material and layout
I found a couple of photos on the internet that I liked and started with them as reference material.  I like the contrast between him with helmet off, in a candid moment and the other photo, with Lacy running with great intensity straight at the camera.  I combined them in a photoshop file.  I removed/erased all the material around the photo without the helmet and laid it over the action photo.
re-drawing, or drawing over the photographs
Usually, I'll do a pencil drawing to start with.  In this case, I just started drawing right on the actual photo layout itself.  I kind of consider it "cheating."  However - in the interest of saving time, that's the way I did it.  This technique is still not instant, it still took a good chunk of time to "re-draw" the photos and background.
smudging the background
When I started working the background more, I used the smudge tool to give it a little illusion of motion.
after applying the duo-tone color
To add color I applied a duo-tone to the artwork thru Photoshop.  Giving it the green and gold coloring over the entire picture.
Eddie Lacy - Running Back, Green Bay Packers, by Tom Kreienbrink
I made some adjustments to the colors, added a border, a little more drawing/sketching and added a logo overlay and.....it's finished.  I hope you enjoy the artwork and the upcoming football season.

Take care everyone and have a great week.  Summer's fading fast, so enjoy it while it's here.

Peace,

Tom

www.behance.net/tk-art

Tom is also an holistic therapy practitioner in Phoenix, AZ.
www.HolisticTherapySolutions.weebly.com

No comments:

Post a Comment