Monday, September 2, 2013

Fun With Dylan

Hi All,

Happy Labor Day to my fellow Americans and Happy Monday to everyone around the world.  Hope you're having a good day.

I loved the cover photo on the latest issue of the Rolling Stone, so thought I'd use it for a fun drawing of Bob Dylan.  I've subscribed to the Stone for the last 30 years for the music news and stories, as well as social and political information.  I've followed the careers of folks like Bob Dylan over the years thru the pages of the Rolling Stone.

OK - enough of that.  Sometimes I like to just sit down with pencils, sharpener, and eraser sticks; and just draw and enjoy creating a picture.

Starting out...having a little Monday morning fun.

So I started drawing with a Ticonderoga HB pencil, with my eraser sticks and sharpener.  I like caricature style drawing that's a recognizable pic - almost a cross between portrait and caricature.  It's a fun drawing of an early 1970's Dylan.

I wanted to keep it simple with some dark darks, rendered with a 2B Koh-i-noor pencil.  I wanted to make it look like Dylan and keep it loose and fun.  Here's the final product.

finished sketch...post cleanup with Photoshop.

It's funny...I took the photos with my new phone.  The photos of the artwork had a bright green tint.  I have no idea why.  So, I took it into Photoshop and did a little adjusting and "drew" the background back to white.  Crazy...yes, I'm not a photographer.  So that's my fun holiday pencil sketch.

Another aspect to this - on this Labor Day.  Dylan always had been pro-labor politically.  I like that.  My dad and granddads had been working men....hard working men in factories and my mom's dad in a print plant.  I was raised in a pro-union family.  I think this picture pays homage to that in some small way....at least in my mind.

Anyhow - have a great day and enjoy...whatever you're doing.  Be nice to those around you too....

Peace,

Tom

2 comments:

  1. Nice drawing.... Bob Dylan has always been one of my favs. Talented man. I always liked his views.

    Mary like him, too. He grew on her. :-)

    ReplyDelete