Thursday, August 1, 2013

Reflexology - A Powerful Healing Modality

Hi All,

Hope your week is going well.  I've been moving in to, and getting involved with my new place of business, The Beyond Today Center.  It's located in mid/north Phoenix (near I-17 and Cactus).  I'll be doing some work there Saturday at the Holistic Healthcare Fair.

My topic today is Reflexology.  It's one of the modalities I specialize in.  It's very powerful.  Today I'll give a brief primer on this bodywork and what you can get from a true reflexologist.

A piece of artwork I created for my website - It shows reflexology
maps on the bottom of the feet

We have over 7200 nerve endings in our feet.  They correspond to various parts of the body - because the feet are a hologram of the body.  Like a mini version of the body.  Various parts of the feet correspond to various parts of the body.  By working on these  parts of the feet you can effect change in the corresponding body part...and even facilitate healing.  Other holograms in the body include the hands and ears.

This is a fun little map of the feet that I found on Facebook.  Note - spine runs up the inside of the foot.
Eyes are on the toes, balls of feet correspond to lungs, heart, rib cage...etc, etc....
 Keeping on the feet; they're just fascinating.  From a pathology standpoint, you can tell what's going on in the body and recognize pathologies in the body, by observing the feet.  How you ask?  Smell of the feet, texture, noticable afflictions, foot colors, structure, and mobility.

Here's some examples.  If the foot is yellow, the liver may not be functioning well.  So you could pay a little extra attention to the liver part of the foot (right foot below the ball of the foot).  If a set of feet has a sourdough smell, the person may be eating too much animal fats or dairy - kidneys probably overworked and the person probably has blood pressure.  If the feet have a vinegar smell, the person may have yeast or candida problems.  If an area is puffy of hard, it tells various things about how the corresponding part of the body may be out of balance.  Crackley crunchies in a shoulder or a joint area can be an old injury and working that area can help break up scar tissue and increase strength and mobility.

As much as there is a physical component to all of this, there's always an emotional or metaphorical component as well.  If you're currently having a lot of fear, you may have puffiness in the bladder area - and may actually have bladder issues.  Typically, grief will manifest in a persons lungs and will show up on the balls of the feet.  If a person has a lot of anger, it usually will be reflected in the liver area - and may actually show up in the liver as some type of malady.  You may think this is a bunch of woo, woo nonsense, and that's ok.  I know what I know.

Then we get to work on the feet.  Typically, foot reflexology is worked with the thumbs, fingers and knuckles.  Sometimes a deeper pressure is needed, sometimes a lighter touch.  You can do an overall light relaxing session...and thats good.  But if I'm really working with intention to help facilitate stimulation and healing in parts of the body, I'll have to work parts of the feet with a deeper pressure.  Probably some lighter as well.  Sometimes, great healing can occur, but you may need to do reflexology once a week or more.  In those cases, I'd probably recommend focused sessions for 30 minutes each, at a reduced rate...and I'd recommend weekly or more than once a week.

Now a reflexologist cannot diagnose illness.  But, if I see something in the feet, I can ask the client if they've had any issues with what I'm looking at.  I can also recommend they get checked out by a physician.  I don't want to exceed my scope of practice though.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here.  There are plenty of books out there that detail the benefits of reflexology and how to do it.  If you're looking for a way to get relief from an issue, try reflexology.  It can really help you get back to a place of homeostasis.

Take care and have a great week everyone.......

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment